MARCH BREAK IN DOWNTOWN HALIFAX
Get out and explore Downtown Halifax this March! Downtown Halifax has many family-friendly attractions, restaurants, shops, and more, to keep your days full and your kids busy.
FREE ON-STREET PARKING (ZONE B) IN DOWNTOWN HALIFAX
Enjoy free on-street parking from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm in ZONE B for March Break from March 14 - 18.
During this timeframe, parking sessions via HotSpot or pay stations within ZONE B ONLY will be FREE.
Note: you MUST STILL REGISTER for parking sessions via HotSpot or a pay station to avoid receiving a ticket, from March 14 to 18, from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm.
PLAN YOUR PARKING BEFORE YOU COME! Visit Parking in Downtown Halifax to make your parking plan.
For more general parking info, visit halifax.ca/parking
RIDE THE ALDERNEY/HALIFAX FERRY FOR FREE THIS MARCH BREAK!
Downtown Halifax and Downtown Dartmouth have collaborated on offering people of all ages the opportunity to have a March Break adventure.
Starting Monday, March 14 until Saturday, March 19, the Alderney/Halifax ferry service will be FREE between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm.
MARCH BREAK ACTIVITIES
Here are 25 KID-APPROVED activities to do with your family this March Break:
- Take a ferry ride across the harbour (and back!).
- Check out the 'Spring is Coming' light projection on the former Halifax Memorial Library at Grafton Park as part of DELIGHTFUL DOWNTOWN.
- Experience a stunnning film and star show in the Dome Theatre at the Discovery Centre.
- Check out the Maud Lewis Gallery at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia.
- Learn about Halifax's connection to the Titanic at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.
- Dine out at a kid-friendly restaurant (see below for suggestions).
- Grab a hot chocolate from a local café (try a different one each day!).
- Explore the grounds at the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site.
- Visit the Halifax Seaport area and check out the train in front of the Canadian Musuem of Immigration at Pier 21.
- Take a selfie with the Halifax Town Clock.
- Stroll the Halifax Harbourwalk, a 4.4 km walk along the harbourfront.
- Visit the Submarine Playground on the waterfront and take a selfie with the Wave.
- Check out the winter-themed lights in Peace and Friendship Park by The Westin Nova Scotian (including the twinkly 26-foot-tall tree).
- Fill up on candy at Freak Lunchbox.
- Take a Self-Guided Art Tour of Downtown Halifax.
- Book a private Ghost Tour at the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site.
- Play some board games at the Board Room Game Café.
- Visit the Train Station Playground in Peace and Friendship Park by the Halifax Train Station.
- Try your luck at an escape room – either Captured Escape Rooms or Trapped Halifax.
- Grill your own dinner at Gangnam Korean BBQ.
- Wander through the shops at the Historic Properties.
- Try one of Cabin Coffee’s famous cinnamon buns.
- Take the Halifax Waterfront Art & Mural Tour.
- Book a staycation at a hotel with a pool (see below for suggestions).
- Have breakfast for dinner at the Elle's Bistro on Barrington Street.
- Book family pedicures at THE TEN SPOT® on South Street (they offer Kiddie Pedis for $30).
*The Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 reopends on March 3, 2022.
** Make sure to follow all applicable Public Health protocols, including wearing a mask, keeping a safe distance from others, and sanitizing/washing your hands when possible. More information on current restrictions here.
For more Kid-Approved Activities, visit Discover Halifax's KID'S GUIDE TO HALIFAX.
FAMILY-FRIENDLY PLACES TO EAT, SHOP & STAY
|Places to Eat||Places to Shop||Places to Stay|
MARCH BREAK DOWNTOWN GIVEAWAY
Friday, March 4 to Monday, March 7, 2022
From Friday, March 4, to Monday, March 7, 2022, you can enter to win a March Break Downtown Prize Package by following @DowntownHalifax on Instagram.
The prize package includes annual family passes/memberships to the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, the Discovery Centre, and the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic; a $100 gift card to Boston Pizza Downtown Halifax; and a $200 gift card to the Prince George Hotel.
To enter, make sure you are following @DowntownHalifax on Instagram, and tag a friend who loves March Break! Multiple entries welcome.
Contest starts at 10:00 am (AST) on Friday, March 4, 2022, and ends at 4:00 pm (AST) on Monday, March 7, 2022. Valid entries will be entered to win one (1) March Break Downtown prize package.
*Must be 19 and over and a resident of Nova Scotia, Canada, to be eligible to win. A random draw will take place by 4:30 pm (AST) on Monday, March 7, 2022, to choose the winner. The winner will be contacted by DM and has until Wednesday, March 9, 2022, at 5:00 pm (AST) to accept the prize or another winner will be drawn. The winner must pick up their prize package in person from DHBC's office at 1546 Barrington Street, Halifax, NS. Prize packages will not be delivered or mailed to the winner. The prize package must be accepted as is. Gift cards cannot be exchanged or returned for cash. Winner will be responsible for activiating the annual family passes/memberships. This giveaway is not affiliated with Instagram.