Switch Halifax: Open Street Sunday
Sunday, September 15, 2019
Noon to 4:00 pm
Switch is a collaborative community event that opens up streets to pedestrians, cyclists, local businesses, organizations and everything in between. With no cars allowed, there will be lots of room for other traffic: performers, musicians, food, bikes, demos, sports, surprises and much more along the route.
On Sunday, September 15th, 12:00 - 4:00 pm we will be closing Agricola Street, Argyle Street, and Spring Garden Road, closing them to cars and opening them up to people, inviting the community to explore the city using active forms of transportation and transform how they experience their city.
Argyle Street, between Prince and Blowers streets, will come alive for Switch Halifax. Join us for a fun afternoon of free family-friendly activities, takeaway food experiences, and more. Remember to bring cash to purchase food!
Prince to Sackville streets
- HFX e-Scooters: $1 e-scooter rentals (pick-ups/drop-offs on Argyle Street, Agricola Street and Spring Garden Road)
- Atlantic Lottery Commission: Test your fitness level with Atlantic Lottery! Join certified personal trainer Tyson Pitre and the AL team to see how you stack up against your friends and your peers. See how long you can hold a wall sit. How many pushups can you do in a minute and how long can you hold a plank? Prizes will be awarded for those interested in taking part (while supplies last), participants must be 19+. You can just do 1 test or all 3, it’s up to you and it’s all for fun.
- Insight Optometry: Drop by for a game of Pin the Glasses 👓 on the Goat (don’t worry, no goats will be harmed), enter to win an eyewear makeover, and get your glasses cleaned. Dr. Rachael Noah will also be there to answer any eye 👁 questions.
- Planning & Design Centre: Information, arts & crafts
- Halifax Circus: Acrobatics demonstrations on a freestanding aerial structure every half hour, demonstrations of juggling, diabolos, and other circus skills in between.
- Discovery Centre: Discovery on Demand - exciting, entertaining and educational hands-on activities
- Face painting & balloon art
- Biscuit General Store: $20 sunglasses table, free refreshing cucumber & mint infused water
- Gahan House: Chicken tacos for $4 each: Gahan 1772 IPA BBQ Braised Chicken Taco with house-made salsa, Guacamole, Crispy Onions, Chipotle Aioli.
- Antojo Tacos & Tequila
- Durty Nelly's Authentic Irish Pub
- Nocturne Halifax: Nocturne: Art at Night volunteer sign-up, arts & crafts
Sackville to Blowers streets
- Neptune Theatre
- Mary's African Cuisine: African Suya (kebabs) + other African meals + cold tropical drinks
- World Tea House: $2.00 iced teas
- Verano Food Purveyors
- East of Grafton
- Bistro le Coq
- House of Eights: Street Foundations/Grooves dance class at 2:00 pm - This class teaches you musicality and the basic movements of hip hop without choreography. Great for beginners who want to be confident on any dance floor, as well as experienced dancers who want to work on foundational grooves.
- Halifax Dance: Adult Combos & Choreography class at 3:15 - This class will feature the same upbeat songs that make you sing in your car and dance in your kitchen. Suitable for dancers of any level, Combos and Choreo will be a mash-up of several different dance styles with playful and dynamic choreography to some of the hottest hits. You will sweat and smile at the same time.
- DHBC: Information tent
- Captured Escape Rooms: Pop-up escape room experience
- Bell Aliant: Free swag, information and customer service
More information on Switch Halifax here.