MAYOR MIKE'S LOCAL STUFF CHALLENGE
ONLINE AUCTION IS NOW OVER.
(DOWNTOWN HALIFAX'S STOCKING IS LOT 8)
Mayor Mike Savage has engaged local business districts in a friendly holiday shopping competition in aid of an important cause.
Each of the participating districts has filled a stocking with products from shops in their areas. The stockings are being auctioned off in support of Shelter Nova Scotia's efforts to help homeless and precariously housed people throughout HRM. Downtown Halifax is participating in the challenge along with 11 other groups. BID on Downtown Halifax's stocking here.
DOWNTOWN HALIFAX'S STOCKING
Here is the Downtown Halifax stocking! We're pretty excited about it, and we think you'll be too!
And although it’s stuffed with products from just a very small sample of our wonderful Downtown Halifax stores, we think it represents the wide variety of items you can find in the Downtown area.
Photo by Applehead Studio Photography
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL FIND IN THE DOWNTOWN HALIFAX STOCKING:
Argyle Fine Art – 1559 Barrington Street
- Home A Lot Holiday Ornament by local artist Chris Smith
- Inspired by the movie Home Alone, this ornament perfectly captures the ‘mood’ of 2020
- Retails for $14.00
Biscuit General Store – 1661 Argyle Street
- Hot Dog Salt & Pepper Shakers
- Biscuit General Store is an indie fashion and gift boutique in the heart of Downtown Halifax
- They have hundreds of gift items under $20.00, including these salt & pepper shakers
East Coast Lifestyle – 1099 Marginal Road
- Classic Vintage Hoodie
- Local clothing company East Coast Lifestyle represents the pride of the East Coast
- This Classic Vintage Unisex Hoodie would look great on anyone on your Christmas list
FireWorks Gallery – 1569 Barrington Street
- ‘Hugs’ Necklace by Constantine Designs
- FireWorks Gallery is a locally owned jewellery store that has been in Downtown Halifax for over 40 years!
- This necklace by local jeweller Constantine Designs, is called ‘Hugs’ as the interlocking form represents a big hug – something we all need this time of year
- Retails for just under $100.00
NSCAD Art Supply Store – 1874 Hollis Street
- Beginners Art Set
- NSCAD’s Art Supply Store is open to anyone who has an interest in Art
- This mixed media Beginners Art Set is a great kit for the budding artist on your list
Rousseau Chocolatier – 5151 South Street
- Artisan Chocolate Bars – White Chocolate and Dark Chocolate Ginger & Cocoa Nibs
- Local chocolate shop Rousseau Chocolatier specializes in handmade chocolates, French macarons, and more. Everything is handmade in-house
- These Artisan Chocolate Bars are the perfect sweet treat in any stocking
Spirit Spa – 5150 Salter Street
- Bathorium Bath Products
- Spirit Spa is a full-service spa and salon that aims to provide a safe place to unwind and recharge
- These bath products from Bathorium will help you relax and unwind in the comfort of your own home
Strange Adventures – 5110 Prince Street
- POP! Bobble-Head Figurine
- Strange Adventures is Canada’s oddest and award-winning comic bookstore and has been open since 1992!
- From The Mandalorian, ‘The Child’ Baby Yoda POP! bobble-head figurine is one of the hottest gifts for the Star Wars fan on your list
Taz Records – 1521 Grafton Street
- Tom Petty – Wildflowers & All the Rest album
- With over 30,000 new and used records and CDs, and hundreds of new arrivals every week, Taz has been Halifax’s go-to place for music for the past 35 years
- This new reissue of Tom Petty’s 1994 album is one of the hottest gifts for music lovers this year
Venus Envy – 1598 Barrington Street
- Two Books: ‘Come as You Are: The Surprising New Science that will Transform your Sex Life’ by Emily Nagoski; and ‘Indigenous Relations: Insight, Tips & Suggestions to make Reconciliation a Reality’ by Bob Joseph with Cynthia F. Joseph
- Venus Envy is an award-winning inclusive sex shop and bookstore
- They have a wide variety of books, from fiction to theory, plus a great selection of inclusive children’s literature, so you can find something for any book lover on your list
World Tea House – 1592 Argyle Street
- Candy Cane and Apple Pie Teas
- World Tea house specializes in organic hand blended loose-leaf teas
- Take a break and indulge yourself with these holiday-inspired teas that go perfectly with a cozy chair and a good book
AND last but not least ….
Arthur’s Urban Market – 1591 Hollis Street
- Orange (and a $25.00 Gift certificate)
- Arthur’s Urban Market is a new European-style grocery store with a commitment to quality, freshness, and convenience
- No stocking is complete without a fresh orange. This tradition dates back centuries, and at one time it was considered a true luxury to receive an orange in your stocking at Christmas time
- Buy your own fresh oranges from Arthur’s with a $25.00 gift certificate
ONLINE AUCTION SITE - NOW CLOSED
Paul MacKinnon, CEO of Downtown Halifax Business Commission, and Elfie are pretty pumped about Downtown Halifax's stocking. Watch the video below.
DOWNTOWN PAUL'S SHOPPING PICS
Paul loved shopping for the Downtown Halifax stocking!