RE-OPEN CITY HFX 2020 - JUNE 27 to JULY 19
Re-Open City is an annual celebration of all the entrepreneurs and small business that make our community so special, vibrant, exciting, and welcoming.
Start making plans for one, or all four weekends of Re-Open City, kicking off June 27th & 28th, continuing until July 18th & 19th. There are over 120 businesses and organizations rolling out their welcome mats and opening their 'back-doors', offering special treats and features. across the city. Keep up to date by following the Facebook Event or see all of the participating businesses here.
Gritty to Pretty Walking Tour
GIVEAWAY - NOW CLOSED
Take a walking tour of the Gritty to Pretty projects in Downtown Hailfax while you are out enjoying Re-Open City HFX 2020, and you could win 1 of 4 gift baskets made up of gift certificates from Downtown Halifax businesses participating in Re-Open City.
1. Take a photo and/or a selfie with 1 (one) of Downtown Halifax's Gritty to Pretty projects. Check out all the Gritty to Pretty projects here.
2. Post the photo to your Instagram and/or Facebook account using the hashtags #GrittytoPrettyDT and #ReOpenCityHFX (make sure your account(s) is/are public to enter).
3. Each different photo posted will count as an entry.
We will be giving away 1 (one) gift basket per weekend for a total of 4 (four) gift baskets, each worth approximately $200.00 CAD each. Giveaway starts June 27, 2020, and ends Sunday, July 19, 2020, at 11:59 pm (ADT). Participants are welcome to enter more than once and on more than one platform. Entrants must be 19 and a resident of Nova Scotia, Canada, to be eligible to win. Participants cannot win more than one gift basket. Draw will take place on Monday, July 20, 2020, for all 4 (four) baskets. Winners will be contacted shortly after that time. Images posted as Facebook and/or Instagram Stories will not count as an entry. Rules and Regulations here.
Learn more about the Gritty to Pretty program here.
Start planning your Re-Open City outing now! Here is a list of the Downtown Halifax businesses and organizations that are participating:
2 Doors Down, 1533 Barrington Street
- Offering rotating hot meals and ice cream sundae specials:
- July 18 & 19: Pork Belly Steamed Bun ($5), Peppermint Oreo Overload ($5)
- Always available: $2 kids cones and cold beverages
Amos Pewter, Halifax Waterfront Boardwalk
- Purchase any one Animal Sculpture and receive 25% off the 2nd Animal Sculpture.
July 18: The Salvadoran Taco- Shaved al pastor, curtido kraut, jack cheese, habanero mayo & cilantro $6
Argyle Fine Art, 1559 Barrington Street
- July 18: In gallery, enter to WIN a COVID-19 Pandemic Poster! All Pandemic Postcards will be on sale. Pick up or Drop off your Creative Candles for the Raymond Taavel Park event later in the week.
Biscuit General Store, 1661 Argyle Street
- July 18 & 19: TBD
Boneheads BBQ, 1014 Barrington Street
- July 18 & 19: TBD
Cafe Taiyaki, 2009 Brunswick Street
- 10% off on all drinks and taiyaki items
- Buy Two & get one FREE Jaw Dropper Taiyaki Ice Cream
Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21, 1055 Marginal Road (Halifax Seaport)
- July 18: TBD
Colwell's Clothing, 1869 Upper Water Street (Historic Properties)
July 18 & 19: Spend $250 & receive a pair of Italian made dress socks.
Copper Branch, 1474 Lower Water Street (Alexander Building)
July 18 & 19: Buy one power bowl get the 2nd half price, plus free brownie samples in store
Develop Nova Scotia, Waterfront Boardwalk
- July 18: Re-Discover Nova Scotia Day on the Waterfront! 11am - 5pm stroll along Salt Yard & area to experience destinations from across Nova Scotia as they showcase the 'sites & sounds' for your Staycations! #rediscovernovascotia
Discovery Centre, 1215 Lower Water Street
- July 18 & 19: It's OPENING weekend at the Discovery Centre, welcome back! Drop by for a visit AND kids, you just might see our Bubble Bike back on the waterfront too!
East of Grafton Tavern, 1580 Argyle Street
- Peameal bacon sandwiches $5 (Fried peameal bacon, soft buttered bun, Dijon mustard & cheddar cheese)
Elle Mio, 1496 Lower Water Street (Brewery Market)
July 18 & 19: 40% OFF all Swimwear & Cover ups
Garrison Brewing Co., 1149 Marginal Road, Halifax Seaport
- Enjoy a Pucker Up! on ice in our family and pet-friendly taproom and patio.
Halifax Regional Municipality, Grand Parade
July 19: PICNIC IN A PARK! Come out and support local business by picking up some take out and have a picnic at the beautiful municipal parks, special surprise visits at the Grand Parade.
Halifax Seaport Farmers' Market, 1209 Marginal Road, Halifax Seaport
July18: Primary producers will be back inside the Halifax Seaport Farmers’ Market building. The Market will operate from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. inside and out featuring primary producers and permanent stall tenant vendors.
Harbour Hopper Tours, 1751 Lower Water Street, Halifax Waterfront
- July 18 & 19: 15% off all tickets
High Seas Taffy and Tees, 1549 Lower Water Street, Halifax Waterfront
- July 18 & 19: Half a pound of free taffy with any purchase over $50
Inkwell Modern Handmade, 2011 Brunswick Street
- July 18 & 19: Spend $60+ Save $10, Spend $100+ Save $20 or Spend $200+ Save $50.
J Farwell Sailing, Halifax Waterfront
- July 18 & 19: Save 15% off of our J Farwell Sunset Wine & Cheese Cruise. Departing daily at 6:30PM
KingsPier Curated Collection, Argyle Street at Blowers
- July 1-30, in support of Pride, KingsPier is giving away a FREE IKEA limited edition rainbow shopping bags to purchases over $100.
Lot Six Bar & Restaurant, 1685 Argyle Street
- Savoury features served up each weekend.
Mary's African Cuisine, 1701 Barrington Street
- Suya Night -- grilled meats and fried plantain
Murphy's Company Store, 1751 Lower Water Street, Waterfront Boardwalk
- 15% off store wide, and free postcard with any purchase! Lots of great local products in store.
- Order any pint from our 12 tap selection and receive a side of our house cut frittes and roast garlic aioli all for only $9
Ristorante a Mano, 1477 Lower Water Street, Bishop's Landing
- 11am – 3pm: Choose from a wide variety of handmade gelato flavours. $3 per scoop.
Salt Yard, Halifax Waterfront
- Sip, savour & stroll The Salt Yard with more than a dozen shops to surprise & delight the entire family.
Shuck Seafood & Raw Bar, 5120 Salter Street
- Poke Bowl $10. (Soy glazed yellowfin tuna, toasted sesame seeds & marinated cucumber)
Sore Spots Massage Therapy, 1990 Barrington Street
- Weather Permitting, visit the massage demonstration station with a tent to showcase one of our unique massage offerings - barefoot massage
Subway, 1560 Argyle Street
- Drop by 1560 Argyle Street for a free cookie (1 per person)
Tall Ship Silva, Halifax Waterfront
- 10 % off a 1.5 hour sail departing from Sackville Wharf between 1pm and 3pm Saturday and Sunday.
- Book online and save 10% using OPENCITYSILVA10 at www.ambassatours.com
Tangonova, Halifax Waterfront
- On Saturdays only between 6:30 - 9:00pm, experience Argentine Tango dancing.
- Only 5 couples on the dance floor at a time
Thanos Kitchen, Halifax Seaport Farmers' Market
- July 18 & 19 Greek Chicken Stewed Mini feta cheese snack
The Cake Lady, Halifax Seaport Farmers' Market and Saltyard
- Buttertarts are $3 for one or $5 for two
The Haliburton Hotel, 5184 Morris Street
- July - August: Summer in the Garden Package (Queen accommodations Wine & Cheese for two in our colourful garden courtyard Breakfast and Parking. From $239 plus taxes. Valid July 1 – Aug 31, 2020
The Harbour Watercraft Tours & Adventures, Halifax Waterfront
- July 17 & 18: Come in for a Seadoo Sunset Tour and save 20%
The Old Apothecary Bakery and Cafe, 1496 Lower Street
- July 18 & 19: Jos Louis
The Press Gang Restaurant & Oyster Bar, 5128 Prince Street
Back Door Take Out Feature ... drop in to discover it!
The Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo/Develop Nova Scotia, Halifax Waterfront
July 19: The Royal International Tattoo Pop-Up performances by The Dartmouth & District Pipe Band between 12:30-2pm in and around Salt Yard and the Halifax Waterfront, proudly presented by Develop Nova Scotia.
The Woods/Develop Nova Scotia, Halifax Waterfront
- July 18: Hip Hop ‘Pop-Up’ on the Halifax Waterfront! 11am – 5pm Watch and listen along the Halifax Waterfont as the history of Hip Hop Dance in Atlantic Canada is showcased and celebrated through ‘pop-up’ performances by dancers from The Woods Professional Hip-Hop Dance Company, Kinetic Studio, Unity Charity, House of Eights Dance Studio, Concrete Roots and Onset Dance. The performances will be recorded for an educational film by The Woods and videographer, Keke Beatz, about the history of Hip-Hop Dance and the black persons that represent our professional dance scene here in Halifax, in support of Black Lives Matter.
Tomavino's Ristorante, 1113 Marginal Road (Halifax Seaport)
July 18 & 19: Call or drop by the for the best pizza in North America, if not the world!
Waterfront Warehouse, 1549 Lower Water Street
- Dozen Local Oysters for $18 all day
- Drink sampling
World Tea House, 1592 Argyle Street
- $2 Tea Specials
- 10 Speed Tarot Readings (10 mins)
For a full list of #ReOpenCityHFX participants, click here.
Wondering what's open in Downtown Halifax? And what to expect when you do get out and about? Visit downtownhalifax.ca/open