Get out and explore Downtown Halifax with our curated "trails." Whether it's patio hopping, shopping 'til you drop, or a thirst to learn more about our city, there's something for everyone to enjoy in Downtown Halifax.
Downtown Family Fun Trail
Enjoy a day out with the family in Downtown Halifax while learning more about the rich history of the city.
- Begin your Downtown family adventure with a tour on the Harbour Hopper. Get 15% off ticket prices all summer long. Book your tickets here.
- Lunch time! Fill up the bellies at Waterfront Warehouse, 1549 Lower Water Street. They have a huge patio right on the Waterfront with an affordable kids’ menu.
- Walk down the Waterfront Boardwalk towards the Submarine playground. If there’s still room for dessert, treat everyone to an ice cream cone from Black Bear Ice Cream in the Saltyard on the way.
- Play time! Time to work off that sugar high. Let the kids run around at the Submarine Playground.
- Next up, pop into the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, 1675 Lower Water Street, and learn more about Nova Scotia’s rich nautical history. Make sure to check out the popular Theodore Tugboat exhibit based on the actual models and sets used in the Theodore Tugboat television series. And before you leave, check out the Marine Heritage Store for historical books, unique nautical gifts, and Maritime souvenirs for all ages.
- If there’s still some gas in the tanks, walk up George Street to the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, 1723 Hollis Street. Visit Maud Lewis’ little house and learn more about this beloved Nova Scotian folk artist. Enjoy free access to the Gallery on Thursday nights with their BMO Free Access Night from 5:00–9:00 pm.
- Time to head home. Before you leave, get a selfie to remember the day in front of Province House, Canada’s oldest house of government, at 1726 Hollis Street. Post it to Instagram and tag it #MeetMeDTHFX.
Other family-friendly attractions to visit in Downtown Halifax:
- Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21
- Discovery Centre
- Halifax Citadel National Historic Site
- Historic Properties
Check out our other Trails: