DHBC will champion best practices in Downtown planning, design, management, and utilization of public spaces that inspire continuing and increasing vibrancy in Downtown Halifax.
Strengthen beautification efforts.
- Open Grant
- Mural Grant
- Façade Lighting Grant
- Creation of a Mural Grant jury and launch of the new grant program
- Relaunch Façade Lighting Grant with enhanced guidelines
- Manage graffiti clean-up
- Seasonal decorations, e.g. Christmas wreaths
- Manage Banner Program
- Supervise poster kiosk monthly maintenance
Increase event attendance.
- Seek changes to provincial liquor laws (work with Restaurant Association of Nova Scotia, Halifax Regional Municipality, and event organizers)
- Sponsorship of events (through an application process)
- Established sponsorships (e.g. The Chronicle Herald Parade of Lights, I Love Local HFX’s Open City and City Harvest)
- Sponsorship activation (e.g. Scotiabank Blue Nose Marathon, The Chronicle Herald Holiday Parade of Lights, The Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo, and other)
- DHBC public events
- Ongoing Argyle Street events/activations
- Clean Sweep volunteer clean-up
- Virtual reality video tour of Downtown Halifax
Advocate for and inform the development, maintenance, and activation of new and existing public spaces.
- Supervise Downtown Halifax Crew (May-August)
- Manage painted picnic tables program
- Tunes at Noon outdoor summer music series in Grand Parade (July-August)
- Expand and implement Cornwallis Park holiday lights installation (November-January)
- Extend length of Cornwallis Park holiday lights installation
- Work with HRM on usage and activation plan of key public spaces