As of May 31, Nova Scotia has 1,056 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia. It is important for everyone to do their part in slowing down the spread of the virus, including self-isolation and physical distancing as per the State of Emergency directives issued on March 22, 2020. Downtown Halifax Business Commission (DHBC) is following the directives of public health organizations, in particular: Nova Scotia Health Authority, Health Canada, and the World Health Organization, and is asking businesses in Downtown Halifax to do the same.
Links to Federal, Provincial, and Municipal Program and Service Updates:
THE COVID-19 NS BUSINESS & LABOUR ECONOMIC COALITION UPDATES
The Halifax Chamber of Commerce has created the COVID-19 NS Business & Labour Economic Coalition, of which DHBC is an active member. The group represents the business and labour community and will work to support businesses, labour, and employees and allow collaboration across Nova Scotia during this uncertain time. The coalition virtually meets three times a week, with representatives from all orders of government on the calls.
The United Way has formed the Atlantic Compassion Fund, which has raised $1.5 million and will be distributing funds to not-for-profits. The Fund will help agencies across Atlantic Canada respond to the unique, immediate and emerging needs in their local community. For information on how to donate and/or how to apply for funding, click here.
- Preparing to Reopen Nova Scotia
- Restaurant COVID-19 Rapid Recovery Guide for Nova Scotia Reopening Resource for Foodservice Operators
- Government of Nova Scotia
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
- Nova Scotia Business Labour Economic Coalition (Halifax Chamber of Commerce)
- Watch Provincial Government live webcasts
- Government of Canada
- Innovation Canada
- Canadian Business Resilience Network (Canadian Chamber of Commerce)
- View Halifax Partnership's COVID-19 Economic Response and Recovery Plan
- Government of Canada toll-free information line: 1-833-784-4397
- Government Business Navigators: Navigators are available by calling or 1-844-628-7347, (902) 424-4475, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, or by email at BusNavigation@novascotia.ca
DOWNTOWN LOWDOWN EPISODE 24: Downtown Halifax COVID-10 Update - Tuesday, June 2, 2020
This week on #DowntownLowdown, Jeremy Webb, Artistic Director, Neptune Theatre, tells us about how #Neptune has been coping through the pandemic, and about their new online show "Off the Leash with Jeremy Webb". Paul MacKinnon, CEO of Downtown Halifax Business Commission, is back and tells us about DHBC's new business grants and latest advocacy work, and we tell you what to expect with businesses starting to re-open.
Below are links to where you can find updates, advice, and resources for prevention and preparedness:
- Halifax Regional Municipality
- Nova Scotia Health Authority
- Health Canada
- Health Canada: risk-informed decision-making for mass gatherings during COVID-19 global outbreak
- World Health Organization
- Restaurant Association of Nova Scotia's COVID-19 Protocol for Restaurants in Nova Scotia
- Summary of Federal Government Iinitiatives
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan
- Halifax Chamber of Commerce